Monday 10 December 2007

Scribblings from the south

Away from the parishes for 24 hours for a pre-Christmas visit to see friends in Sussex, and exchange cards and presents. I enjoyed my first Christmas meal, turkey with all the trimmings, a flaming pudding, as well as nibbles and a fresh berry roulade. I feel as if I've eaten an elephant!

It's always good to see this group, most of whom I've known from 1971 when that Christmas vacation from Teacher Training College I started working at a small independant corner off-licence, "Munnery's Wine Stores". The shop changed hands (and rapidly closed) in the late 1980's, but friendships made have been friendships maintained, and we meet up a couple of times a year, mainly to celebrate birthdays, and eat ... and drink ... though as I was the driver, I was on fruit juice today.

When I was working in the shop, I could drink several Bacardi & coke in an evening without any problem. Now, just one is enough. Alcohol tolerance certainly lowers when you don't drink all that often. Two bottles of beer from our local St. Peter's Brewery, and I'm glad that I live within walking distance! Mind you, it is good stuff!

Back to Suffolk tomorrow, collecting, on the way, another friend who is staying until the weekend. Then there's the Benefice Shared Supper on Friday night (which I am hosting) at which you never know how many people are going to turn up, nor what dish (savoury or sweet) they might bring. Then two house guests for Saturday and Sunday night. It's a busy social week, on top of all the usual parish meetings (two PCC's and a clergy Chapter) and Sunday services. Then the Carol services begin! Add to this the fact that we've just learnt that the tower of one of our ancient churches is falling down, and it's going to be a busy Christmas. Joy to the World!

1 comment:

  1. When I was working in the shop, I could drink several Bacardi & coke in an evening without any problem. Now, just one is enough. Alcohol tolerance certainly lowers when you don't drink all that often.

    How very true! When I recall those early days in various script meetings, sound studios and other sundry pre-Wenchoster activities, the amount of gin needed to wash down the tuna fish salad was quite copious! (And I still have some of the tapes to prove it!)

    Now, middle age and the onset of "responsibility" has done away with all that.

    ReplyDelete