Monday 26 January 2009

Gong Hei Fat Choy!



Happy Chinese New Year! Welcome the Year of the Ox.

Back down on the south coast again for another meet-up of the old "off-licence" crew, and this time it coincides with the Chinese New Yaer, so we're cooking Chinese dishes for our lunch together. I've done the roast duck and have the pancakes and hoi sin sauce, spring onions and cucumber to go with it. I'm also doing a large veg stir-fry and a beef curry - yes, curry - the Chinese version, not Indian - much less hot and more aromatic.

In Brighton yesterday evening I found the Chinese take-away I used to go to when I lived there, and it was open, so for old times sake I went in and ordered a bag of chips. (What expense! What luxury!) I didn't like to tell them that the last time I was in there was some 25 - 30 years ago! Not the sort of regular customer they want! Mind you, when I was a regular customer I must have spent a small fortune there, and probably put their young daughter though school! In fact, I think she was the adult lady who served me!

No comments:

Post a Comment