Wednesday 31 December 2008

Thoughts for the New Year


The 1952 flm version of "The Importance of Being Earnest" was on the box a couple of days ago, and it has to be one of my favourites. I never watch it but that I come away remembering a couple of quotes. This time three sentences caught me.

Fistly, in the confrontation between Gwendoline and Cecily, Gwendoline says "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train."

Next, Dr. Chasuble, when woken out of his afternoon sleep begs forgiveness for his "post-prandial nap into the arms of Morpheus."

And finally, Lady Bracknell observes that "Three addresses always inspire confidence, even in tradesmen."


There can be little better preparation for 2009 than these pearls of wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment