Friday 30 May 2008

A day to remember


Today I had the opportunity to be part of a Group Audience with His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. The meeting was held at Rhodes House in Oxford, and gathered together were the relatives of British officials and others, who were in Tibet during the late 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. I was invited because my late uncle David was one of just four British representatives to attend the enthronement of His Holiness in Lhasa in 1940. My uncle's daughter and her son were also present.

The Dalai Lama spoke to us about his hopes for Tibet, and his belief that it was possible to find a "middle way" for his country, where instead of becoming independent, which the Chinese would never allow, it became an autonomous region of China. He also encouraged us to visit the country, and said that because of our family connections with it, he considered us brothers and sisters of Tibet.

No doubt I shall write more on this when I have had a chance to think and reflect on the day - I've only just got back home. It's certainly something in which I'm very pleased to have taken part.

3 comments:

  1. What a privilege! Looking forward to hearing more about this event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very jealous. Can I have your autograph?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me jealous, too. "Middle way". Where have I heard that before? Oh, that we in the Anglican Communion could find our way back there.

    Yes. Please do tell us more.

    ReplyDelete