Saturday 11 July 2009

Mistaken identity


I first noticed this error for Year B Proper 10 in the Revised Common Lectionary six years ago, and again three years ago, and I can't believe it hasn't been spotted by anyone else.

Here's a verse from tomorrow's Gospel reading as it appears in the New International Version of the Bible:

Mark 6:22 When the daughter of Herodias came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his dinner guests. The king said to the girl, “Ask me for anything you want, and I’ll give it to you.”

And here's the same verse as it appears in the Revised Common Lectionary books (and on the printed reading sheets which we use as distributed by Redemptorist Press):

Mark 6:22 When his daughter Herodias came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his guests; and the king said to the girl,‘Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will give it.’

Have you spotted the error?

I wonder how many churches tomorrow will read the RCL text and not even notice.

More to the point, why hasn't there been any correction issed by the Liturgical experts of the church or the RCL editors?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder! I verbally correct the Gospel when reading it. And as I was preaching from Wilde's "Salome" this morning the RCL version would have rendered my sermon null and void.

    ReplyDelete