Saturday 8 August 2009

Busy and productive day

It's been a travelling day today ... this morning I drove over to near Huntingdon for a Postcard fair where I found this superb card of my grand-uncle to add to my collection, and it only cost £1.50, which is a bargain! Basil Gill was an actor well-known for his commanding voice, active on the stage and screen through the first half of the 20th century. I have a large collection of images and ephemera from his plays and films, but this card was unknown to me. It shows him as Shakespeare's "Richard II" in 1904. (I've not inherited his looks!)


Then I drove back and headed up to Norwich for my Friday evening session at the gym. By the time I got home I had driven 194 miles! Phew! I rewarded myself with two fried eggs on toast and a slice of Tarte aux fruits" (which needs eating as the strawberries on it are going soft!)

Ten postcards bought in all, along with a couple of new albums and the proper insert sheets. I was sorely tempted with a series of wonderful and unique photo and postcard albums of a person's holidays in France in the early 1930's, complete with typed narrative and sketches, and they were not over expensive at £100, but I kept a tight hold on my wallet and headed for the car!

I shall now be up into the early hours sorting out my collection of Carte de Visite and Cabinet cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment